American Collections Enterprise, Inc was founded in 1993 by the late Michael J. Sutherland. Before his untimely passing in 2013, he grew the agency from a one-man operation to one that occupies the entire floor of an office building, with over 30 employees. Being the gifted entrepreneur he was, Michael could have grown the agency into something larger however he chose to create a medium-sized agency in order to provide a more personalized service to his clients. Originally from the DC/MD/VA area, Michael saw a need for a small town touch that ultimately yields big city results.
Further recognizing the DC/MD/VA area is home to some of the best, cutting-edge healthcare in the country, Michael chose to concentrate on healthcare collections. He became active in the political arena as an advocate for the credit and collection industry, as well as healthcare business management. His business model for ACEI was created to maximize recoveries for the provider while at all times respecting the needs and concerns of the patient/guarantor.
With his passing, the leadership of ACEI passed to its’ then Senior Vice-President, W. Patrick McNemar. Patrick is a CPA who left his position with a very large company to help Michael realize his dream. Patrick provided the business and systems acumen to Michael’s knowledge of the healthcare collections industry and helped to grow the agency to where it is today. Patrick is now the President & CEO of ACEI and runs the agency with the same ethics, integrity, and professionalism established by Michael.
To provide a balance between the employment of integrity, ethics, and dignity in debt recovery for our clients and the enjoyment of our tradition of excellence while enhancing an educational atmosphere for our committed staff of professionals.
- I Believe Every Person Has Worth As an Individual.
- I Believe Every Person Should Be Treated With Dignity and Respect.
- I Will Make It My Responsibility to Help Consumers Find Ways to Pay Their Debts.
- I Will Be Professional and Ethical.
- I Will Commit to Honoring This Pledge.
We value progression and believe that the collection process should evolve with the latest technology and collection strategy.
- Always treat the consumer with dignity.
- Maintain the maximum recovery possible for our clients.
- Maintain the highest level of integrity in our dealings with others.
- Maintain professional communications with our clients and their patients/consumers.
- Abide by all Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requirements, other applicable laws and state and local collection laws.
- Act as an educational resource by staying informed of industry events and laws that affect our clients.
- Provide our clients with the most effective recovery processes by creating innovative collection strategies.
ACA International is the association representing the credit and collection industry. AMCOLLECT adheres to the ACA International Code of Conduct and Statement of Principles and Guidelines for lawful collections. Our heightened concern for compliance means you and your business are protected from the unnecessary litigation that can result from unlawful collection tactics.
- Bonded and Insured
- Compliant with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- Compliant with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Compliant with any and all state and local laws that are more restrictive than federal law
In addition, AMCOLLECT is compliant with a host of other federal laws that influence the course of our industry. For the sake of brevity, we chose not to fully list all of the laws but would be happy to cover them upon request.
AMCOLLECT employees are trained by using the “FDCPA Essentials for Collectors” and “Essential Collection Skills and Techniques”, interactive training videos, both self-paced courses offered by ACA International. In order to proceed with training, collectors must attain a passing grade before being exposed to further collection courses. From there the collection student is subjected to classroom training that is conducted by our training staff.
AMCOLLECT employees are trained and tested on compliance one-on-one by our Compliance Manager. In order to start making outbound calls, collectors must complete our compliance course and achieve a passing score. We are constantly updating our staff on matters of compliance due to the ever-changing interpretation of laws that govern collections.
AMCOLLECT addresses Data Security as follows:
- Our site is fully secured with an alarm system and electronic locks activated by key cards on all access doors. All entry activity is logged with the entrants’ name, time of access and location of the entrance. In addition, key areas of the building, both outside our offices and inside are subject to video surveillance.
- All servers are secured in a climate controlled environment with key card access limited to our management team.
- We currently use 256-bit encryption to assure that our data is as secure as possible.
- Logs are maintained when account data is changed.
- All proprietary data is backed up to tape nightly and stored in a fireproof safe. The most recent tape is taken off-site.
- All servers and critical data is backed up to a secure cloud network which facilitates a recovery in the event of a disaster.
- All calls are captured by our call monitoring software and recorded for quality assurance, fact-finding and training purposes.
- Old hardcopy records are destroyed by a certified data destruction vendor.
- Internet access is subject to state-of-the-art monitoring and filtering programs and limited to certain staff.
- Collector workstations are locked down in order to increase productivity and prevent unauthorized access to secure areas of the network.
- Printing is disabled at every collector workstation to limit the risk of data leakage.
- Our managers have access to screen viewing software to monitor collector productivity.